What Is My Router IP Address? Wi-Fi IP Address Explained
- How to Find your Router IP Address?
- Find your Router IP Address on a Windows 10 PC
- How to find your Router IP Address on Android
- How to find your Router IP Address on iPhone/iPad
- How to find your Router IP Address on macOS
- How to find your Router IP Address on Linux
- How to find your Router IP Address on Chrome OS
- Default Router IP Address by Brand
- What is Default Gateway?
- Can I change the Router IP Address?
- Importance of Hiding your IP Address
Most people may have heard about an IP address, but they may not know what it is all about. An IP (Internet Protocol) address is a numerical label assigned to devices connected to the internet. An IP address serves two primary functions, i.e., network identification and location addressing.
Simply put, an IP address is no different from your home address. However, it performs several vital functions, most notably ensuring you are connected to the internet. Remember, without an IP address, you will not be able to access the internet.
On the flip side, if you are in the US, you will get an IP address that will reflect your location. But due to geo-restrictions, you may not be able to access the internet in its entirety. For this reason, you may want to change router IP address, but you will learn more about this later. First, let’s take a closer look at router IP address.
How to Find your Router IP Address?
If you want to find out your router IP address, you need to keep a couple of things in mind. You can get all the information you need directly from your router. If not for that, you can get all the details you require from the device connected to your home or work network. Either way, the process of finding out your router IP address can vary depending on the brand of your router or the type of device you use.
Want to learn to find out your router IP address? This blog will cover some prominent devices/platforms and several popular router brands.
Find your Router IP Address on a Windows 10 PC
To find “My Router IP” on a Windows 10 PC, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Click Status in the left pane.
- In the right pane, scroll down and click on View your Network Properties.
- On the next screen, scroll down until you find your router’s IP address. It will be referred to as Default Gateway.
How to find your Router IP Address on Android
To find “My Wi-Fi Address” on Android, follow these steps:
- Select Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Tap and hold on the connected network, then select Manage Network Settings.
- Select Show Advanced Options > Static > IP Settings.
- Your will your router’s IP address under Gateway.
How to find your Router IP Address on iPhone/iPad
To find “My Router IP Address” on your iPhone/iPad, here’s what you need to do:
- Select Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you are connected to.
- Scroll down until you come across IPv4 Address. Here, you will find your router’s IP address.
How to find your Router IP Address on macOS
To find your router’s IP address on macOS, follow these steps:
- Select the Apple icon > System Preferences.
- On the left side of the window, select your network.
- On the bottom-right side of the window, select Advanced.
- Click TCP/IP. You will find your router’s IP address next to Router.
How to find your Router IP Address on Linux
Here is what you need to do to find your router’s IP address on Linux:
- Open a terminal window.
- Type the following command: ip route | grep default. Hit Enter.
How to find your Router IP Address on Chrome OS
Finding your router’s IP address on Chrome OS is pretty simple. Here’s how:
- Select Time.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Select Information.
- Here, you will find your router’s IP address.
Default Router IP Address by Brand
1. TP-Link Router IP
The default IP address for all TP-Link routers is 192.168.1.1.
2. D-Link Router IP
The default IP address for all D-Link routers is 192.168.0.1.
3. PLDT IP Address
The default IP address for all PLDT routers is 192.168.1.1.
4. Tenda Router IP
The default IP address for all Tenda routers is 192.168.0.1.
5. Asus Router IP
The default IP address for all Asus routers is 192.168.1.1.
6. Netgear Router IP
The default IP address for all Netgear routers is 192.168.1.1.
What is Default Gateway?
You may come across the term “Default Gateway” time and time again when looking for your router’s IP address. But what does it mean?
The term refers to a path used to transmit information when a device does not have a destination. In simpler words, it is a router that connects hosts to remote network segments.
Can I change the Router IP Address?
Yes, it is possible to change your router’s IP address. To do so, you will need to log into your router. The exact steps vary depending on the router you use, but it is quite simple once you log in. However, if you want to make it easier to switch between IP addresses, then you will find a VPN to be a great solution.
Importance of Hiding your IP Address
There are plenty of reasons why you will want to find your IP address, the most important being to bolster your online security. Once you know your IP address, you can take the necessary steps to hide it. But why would you want to hide your IP address apart from the obvious security reasons? Let’s take a look at some reasons why hiding your IP address is important:
- Prevent Tracking from Ad Networks
When you sign up with Facebook or Google, you give these companies permission to track your online activities to present you with relevant ads. This targeted advertising can be intrusive, but it can be forgone with the help of a VPN.
- Hide Online Activity from your ISP
ISPs are able to track your online activities via your IP address. Currently, there are no restrictions that prevent ISPs from doing so, thus putting users data at greater risk of being compromised. Also, there is no guarantee that your ISP will not sell your information to third parties. To prevent ISPs from recording, storing, and selling your information, it is necessary for you to hide your IP address by using a VPN.
It is important to note that you will need a reliable VPN to hide and change your router’s IP address. Unreliable or free VPNs tend to have restrictions, limitations, or they are outright going to sell your information without your consent. For this reason, and many others, stick to a reliable VPN, like Ivacy VPN.
With Ivacy VPN, you will be able to access any content from any part of the world, bypass monitoring, protect yourself from cybercriminals and hackers, defeat ISP throttling, and much more!