How to Find Your Printer’s IP Address | Easy-to-Follow Steps
Looking for your printer’s IP address but don’t know where to begin looking for it? That’s alright, to be honest; most of the people from the billions who use computers and printers regularly, don’t either.
The reason being that it’s not something you have to worry about often. If you’ve been looking for a comprehensive, easy-to-follow guide to help you find your printer’s IP address, you’re at the right place.
But (there’s always a but) first, let’s talk about what an IP address is.
IP stands for ‘Internet Protocol’, and an IP address is, well, an address, but for your computer or machine. A computer IP address tells the internet where to send your data, for example, your emails, songs, GOT memes, etc.
It consists of a string of numbers that is separated by periods or ‘dots’, making it look a lot like this: 22.214.171.124. These numbers can range from 0 to 255, so the full range of IP addresses lies between 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s talk about what a printer IP address is.
Similar to the computer, your printer also has an address, and you can use this address in case you want to troubleshoot some problems. You can also use this address to connect it to a network, so multiple machines can send printing commands to it.
Pretty nifty, right?
Now that you know what all these terms mean, let’s head on over to the real objective of this article—helping you find your printer’s IP address according to what machine you’re using!
How to find Printer IP address in Windows 10
Now, there are a couple of easy ways to find out your printer’s IP address from your Windows 10 desktop. Let’s look at those first.
Find Printer’s IP address using the control panel
- In your search box, type ‘control panel’. This should lead you to a whole new page where you can change most of your system settings from.
- If you’re on the right page, you should be able to view a page-full of categories including “Administration settings’ and ‘Color Management’ at the top. If you can see these options, you’re in the right place. Find the option ‘Devices and Printers’ and click that.
- Now, you can probably see a whole bunch of machines in front of you. Right-click on a printer, and select ‘properties.’
- Next, the window that opens should have three tabs; ‘General,’ ‘Hardware,’ and ‘Web Services.’ Select ‘Web Services’. Once you’re there, you’ll find your printer’s IP address at the bottom of the window.
Find Printer’s IP address using Command Prompt (CMD)
Another, short, albeit a little more complicated method to find your printer’s IP address on Windows 10 is by using a command prompt. Let’s go through this method step-by-step.
- To begin, type cmd in your search box.
- Next, you should be able to see the command line. Type ‘iconfig’ and press enter.
- On the window that shows up, you’ll be able to find your IPv4 IP address.
- Once you know your IPv4 address, go ahead and type ‘ping’, followed by a space, and then your IPv4 address and press enter.
- When the results have finished loading, type ‘arp-a’ and then hit enter. This will bring up all the dynamic and static connections load up.
- When it is done, open up the browser you’re most comfortable using (Chrome users give us a fistbump! But really, any will do)
- Now, copy and paste the dynamic address that loaded up after you typed in the ‘arp-a’ command.
- If you’ve followed all the steps right, you should now see a printer set-up page that will display your printer’s IP address, along with other details like its manufacturer logo, printer information, and how much ink you’ve left.
Don’t let the trickiness scare you, this method does give you a little spin in the head but once you understand what commands to enter and what to copy + paste, it’s really quick to follow.
How to find Printer IP address in Mac
If you’re a mac user, things are a little bit different for you. Again, there are a couple of different ways for you to find your printer’s IP address; the first is by using system preferences, and the second is by using the CUPS webpage.
Let’s start with system preferences.
Find Printer’s IP address using System preference
- First things first, open up your system preferences. If you don’t know where that option is, hover over to the Apple logo on the top left corner of the page and click that. You should see a drop-down menu with ‘System Preferences’ listed among the options. When you see it, you know where to click.
- Now, find ‘printers and scanners’ and click that.
- Now, go ahead and select a printer from the left-hand-side column. In case you have access to more than one printer in your system, they will be listed in the form of a list on the right-hand-side of your ‘Print and Scan’ menu.
- Finally, you’ll find your printer’s IP address on the page that shows up.
Find Printer’s IP address using CUPS webpage
As a much simpler alternative, you can use the CUPS webpage on mac to find what your printer’s IP address is. Here’s how to do that.
- Open up your ‘Applications’ folder.
- Next, open up ‘Utilities.’
- Once you’ve done that, open up ‘Terminal.’
- Next, type in ‘cupsctl Webinterface=yes’ and hit enter. This will enable the CUPS webpage.
- Now, head over to your safari browser, and type in ‘localhost:631/printers.’
- You’ll find your printer’s IP address in the location column.
How to find the Printer IP address in the router
If you’ve already tried the previously discussed ways and they didn’t work for you, there are a couple more things you can do. One is using your router to find out your printer’s IP. If you have access rights to your router, let’s begin.
- Open up your favorite web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, and hit enter. This will get you logged in to your router.
- Now, you should see a prompt. Quickly enter your username and password.
- Once you’re in, you’re going to look for ‘DHCP Client Table,’ or really, anything leading to a client list. You’ll find these details in the ‘local network’ section. Having said that, this step can vary depending on your router manufacturer, and if you can’t find these options, you may need to contact their website.
- Once you have the client list, open it and find your printer. Its IP address should be listed among the details, and there you have it!
Find your printer IP address from the Printer’s menu
For this method to work, you might need to access your printer’s instruction manual for details and instruction in some cases, but for the most part, the steps listed down below should do the job. Let’s get started.
- Find the home button on your printer and press it. See a menu? Good! Now, select either preference, wireless settings, or options (the options differ based on what printer you’re using)
- Usually, the printer IP address will be listed at the top of the next box that appears. It’s okay if you can’t see it though. Simply continue to scroll through the wireless details, and you might find it there.
- If you still can’t, try navigating over to ‘network setup’ or ‘networking’ to find it. Keep a lookout for headings like ‘TCP/IP,’ ‘Wi-Fi Status,’ or ‘Network Status’ as sometimes IP addresses are listed under them too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Looking for more? Here are some questions about printer IP addresses that we get asked pretty frequently.
How to find Epson printer IP address
- First, turn the printer on, and make sure that it is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Navigate over to ‘settings’ or the ‘setup’ button and press ‘OK.’
- Next, you want to scroll down to ‘Wi-Fi Settings’ and click ‘OK.’
- Then, select ‘Wi-Fi Correction Check’ and press ‘OK.’
- Let the machine run a check. When you see ‘Wi-Fi connection is OK. Print Check Report?’ displayed on the screen, select ‘Yes’ and click ‘OK.’
- When you have the printed report, you should be able to see your printer’s IP address listed on it.
How to find the printer IP address in Canon
- Turn on your printer and scroll over to the right till you reach the Set/Adj menu. Then, press ‘ok.’
- Next, scroll over to the interface setup. Then, select TCP/IP.
- Once you’ve done that, you should see IPv4 as one of the options, select that.
- Then, select ‘IPv4 settings,’ and hit ‘ok.’
- There, you should see the IP address of your Canon printer.
How to find the IP address of the printer in chrome book
You can generally find this in the settings menu under “wireless network”
How do I find the IP address of my printer?
There are several ways to find out the IP address of your printer depending on the OS you’re using. You can find it using the control panel, or the command prompt if you’re using Windows 10. If you’re a Mac user, using find it using either System preferences, or the CUPS webpage.
Apart from this, there are also other ways to find out your printer’s IP address including using your router, or the printer’s own menu. Read the full blog for more detailed steps.
How to find my HP printer’s IP address
- Open up your printer and make sure it’s connected to your Wi-Fi.
- Next, find the ‘wireless’ icon in the home screen menu and select that. You should see your IP address on the next screen that appears.
You now have everything you need to know about finding your printer’s IP. But when it comes to changing your own IP address to protect yourself online, and even all your devices connected to your network, then you need not look further than Ivacvy VPN. With Ivacy VPN you will not only benefit from impenetrable security and anonymity online, but you will also be able to explore the internet freely like never before!