Jailbreak Roku | How to Jailbreak Roku TV in 2021 – 4 Easy steps
Jailbreaking refers to the process of modifying a phone to gain access to the entire file system to remove any restrictions on adding new software. Jailbreaking popular media devices or smartphones and even consoles to add features that the provider wants to block is quite common. However, the team behind Roku ensures that a Roku box or stick cannot be tampered with, due to an impenetrable operating system. But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experiment with a few tried and tested ways of getting the most out of it, without actually having to jailbreak Roku.
Roku TV – What Is It?
Roku is a handy device that makes it both easy and economical for you to watch your favorite TV shows. Roku removes the need for cable TV and offers a one-in-all alternative for entertainment. Each Roku device gives you access to free TV, live news coverage, sporting events, movies, and much more.
4 Ways to Jailbreak Roku TV in 2021 (Workaround)
There are four main alternatives to jailbreak Roku, they are as follows:
- Screen Mirroring
- Screen Casting
- The Roku Mobile App
- Use a local network or USB
Here, we are going to explain each workaround to jailbreak Roku in detail with the step-by-step process for each method outlined:
1- Screen Mirroring to Jailbreak Roku
All you need is an Android smartphone or Windows PC to use Screen mirroring with Roku boxes. Once you do so, everything appearing to you on your smartphones, such as the Kodi streams, photos, videos, and web pages, becomes visible on your TV media display via the Roku box. Additionally, you will also be able to see your smartphone’s screen this way. However, you should note that along with the duration of screen mirroring mode, you won’t be able to conduct any smartphone activity. If you try to use your phone, the content on the Screen will stop playing.
2- Screen Casting to Jailbreak Roku
Screencasting is another excellent way to circumvent the jailbreak of Roku. Still, this method only works with a few compatible apps. The downside to Screencasting is that Kodi is not cast-compatible. Netflix and YouTube are compatible with casting, but the content is displayed without any menu bars or status icons. However, as the content begins playback, you can perform different tasks, including phone related tasks like making phone calls, etc.
3- The Roku Mobile App
4- Use the Home Network
You can use your phone in combination with Roku streaming boxes to play your laptop’s content through the home network. You will need to install the Roku media player app.
How to Screen Mirror to Jailbreak Roku – Windows and Android
Here are a few simple steps you need to follow to screen mirror on Roku:
1- Choose how Roku acts when you make an attempt to mirror the device’s Screen
- Go to Settings from the main Roku screen
- Select Screen mirroring in the System menu and then select Screen mirroring mode
- If you choose Prompt, you would need to confirm with Roku’s remote every time a device tries to connect
- If you decided Always Allow, Roku would allow the approved devices to instantly connect
- Selecting Never Allow means that Roku will be blocking all devices from getting connected
2- Enable Screen mirroring on Roku
- Tap Display on your device’s Settings
- Go to Wireless Display
- Several devices will appear beneath the Display tab. Tap the Roku device that you want to connect with and give it a custom name if you wish.
3- Enjoy the content as your device is now ready to be displayed on TV via Roku
Watch Content on Roku via USB or PC
You can also watch content on Roku via USB or PC, with the following steps:
- Launch the media player
- Choose the audio, video categories from the selection screen
- Chose the device whose content you need to play (It won’t play if the file format is not supported)
- Use the OK or Play/pause button to toggle the content playing and press the back button to stop the playback.
Use Play on Roku to Jailbreak Roku
Using the Play on Roku app is another excellent method. Although it’s similar to Screen Mirroring and Screen Casting, it is not compatible with Netflix, YouTube, and KODI.
- Firstly, launch the Roku Mobile App by tapping the Photos+ icon
- Select the Music, Photos, or Videos tab
- Grant access to the media library when the prompt appears
- Choose the content from your device.
Frequently Asked Questions to Jailbreak Roku in 2021
Can you jailbreak Roku?
Setting it apart from other devices and smartphones, Roku remains protected from jailbreaking because it has it’s own closed operating system, which is only accessible by authorized developers.
Is it Legal to Jailbreak Roku?
It is entirely legal to jailbreak Roku since the only difference between a jailbroken one and the one without a jailbreak is the installation of the Kodi app.
How to install Kodi on Roku?
Here is a complete guide on installing Kodi on Roku in 2021.
Can I watch pirated movies on Roku?
Since Roku does not support streaming of any movies, TV shows, or pirated content, you will need to depend on Kodi to watch the pirated content on Roku and use any of the workarounds to jailbreaking mentioned in this article. But then again, that is not something that Ivacy VPN recommends its users to do.